Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Key points in the Diagnosis of Autosomal Dominant Polycystic Kidney Disease



The diagnosis of ADPKD is most often obtained by ultrasonography. Given that detection rates are less than 85% for individuals and that ultrasonography positively identifies >98% at risk individuals by age 30, imaging has remained the primary diagnostic approach. The presence of enlarged kidneys with multiple cysts is required for the diagnosis of ADPKD. Age-specific, ultrasound-based diagnosis guidelines for ADPKD have been developed, primarily for PKD1-related disease. These same guidelines are less reliable sensitive for PKD2-related disease, in which a later age of onset occurs. In young individuals with PKD2 alterations who undergo screening, there is an increased likelihood of false-negative results by ultrasonography. The presence of two cysts in each kidney in an at-risk individual younger than 30 years is 99% specific and sensitive for the presence of ADPKD. For those older than 30 years and younger than 60 years, four cysts bilaterally in an at-risk individual (i.e., someone with a known affected parent) are necessary for the same level of diagnostic precision. For those older than 60 years, more than eight cysts bilaterally are needed for a positive diagnosis. In the 10% to 15% of ADPKD individuals who do not have a family history, stricter criteria are required for a diagnosis, and at least five cysts bilaterally by the age of 30 and a phenotype consistent with ADPKD must be present.
A negative ultrasound result in an at-risk individual at age 20 years reduces the likelihood of disease inheritance to below 10% and at age 30 years to below 5%. When disease status must be determined with greater certainty (i.e., during evaluation of a potential donor for living, related transplantation), computed tomography (CT) or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and genetic testing may be required.

Mutation screening using direct sequencing of the PKD1 or PKD2 genes is commercially available. Direct sequencing is the most accurate and reliable screening method, but expense is a limiting factor. After a genetic diagnosis is made, other at-risk family members can be screened at reduced cost by performing exon-specific sequencing of the identified mutation. Current mutation detection rates in known affected individuals for PKD2 and PKD1 are 95% and 75%, respectively.

1 comment:

  1. I had my TL a little more than a year ago when my third child was born via c-section. I was not told ANYTHING about the possible side effects of having this procedure. Since then I have experienced heavy bleeding lasting sometimes 3 weeks out of the month, weight gain, severe mood swings. Severe cramping, changes to my libido, severe depression accompanied by suicidal thoughts, headaches, migraines, many new symptoms & older issues are now exacerbated. The father of two of my children doesn't want me anymore. I've become too much of a pain in the ass I guess. We don't talk. We don't sleep in the same bed. I think he might really think I am crazy... & maybe I am. I feel crazy a lot of the time.
    I'm unpredictable. I feel so angry about the whole thing & now what was once a mild fear of doctors has exploded into full on white coat syndrome that causes me to have a panic attack/hypertensive emergency (severe increase in blood pressure) whenever I have to deal with them. I'm not sure what to do... I fear the next time I have to see a doctor I'll have a stroke or a heart attack from the stress & anxiety of it... what do I do? I take my time and keep searching on internet looking for natural healing that how I came across Dr Itua herbal center website and I was so excited when Dr Itua told me to calm down that he will help me with his natural remedy I put my hope on him so I purchase his herbal medicines which was shipped to my address I used it as prescribed guess what? I'm totally healed my cramp pain is gone completely I also used his Anti Bacteria herbal medicines it's works for me very well I want anyone with health problem to contact Dr Itua herbal center for any kind diseases remedies such as Parkinson, Herpes, ALS, MS, Diabetes, Hepatitis, Hiv/Aids,Cancers, Men & Women Infertility, I got his email address  drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com he has any kind of herbal remedies for women & men also for our babes. I really miss my Hunni...he's a fantastic father & a good man. He doesn't deserve this. I feel like an empty shell of who I used to be.

    ReplyDelete